If i choose not to vaccinate my child against the measles, am i really putting them at risk? I think it would be better to risk my son getting measles than taking the chance that the vaccine itself could damage his health somehow.

Dr. Larry Lutwick
Internal Medicine - Infectious Disease

In brief: In its heyday,

Measles killed more children every year than polio.
The vaccine kills none. No rational parent would not vaccinate their child.

In brief: In its heyday,

Dr. Larry Lutwick
Dr. Larry Lutwick
Dr. Marc Grella
There are uncommon and rare side effects from all vaccines including the MMR vaccine. Fevers and rash can and do occur and febrile seizures also occur uncommonly. I would agree that the benefit of the vaccine far outweighs the risk but I would not go so far as to question one's rationality in questioning.
Dr. Mandakini Patel

In brief: Measles vaccine

It is better 2 have ur child vaccinated against measles than risking the disease.
The disease is bad. U could have one sick child on ur hands and the risk of complications from the disease are jsut as high if not higher withthe disease.

In brief: Measles vaccine

Dr. Mandakini Patel
Dr. Mandakini Patel
Dr. Mark Diamond

In brief: Do you feel lucky?

A long history of tracking the disease has demonstrated that approximately 1 out 2000 cases will suffer a potentially life threatening consequence such as pneumonia or encephalitis.
Is it the worth the risk?And in 40-50 years the vaccine has not been shown to have these side effects.Seems like the vaccine is a slam dunk decision.

In brief: Do you feel lucky?

Dr. Mark Diamond
Dr. Mark Diamond
Dr. William Harris

In brief: Vaccinate!

There are many strong opinions about whether or not to vaccinate.
People cite religious, safety, or other reasons. To a certain extent, most of the population will be protected by the fact that "everybody else" is vaccinated. That argument will only last so long until you or your child get a preventable disease. The wise choice is to take advantage of all offered and recommended vaccinations.

In brief: Vaccinate!

Dr. William Harris
Dr. William Harris
Dr. Joseph Jeu

In brief: Measles

Measles is not always a minor childhood infection.
It can cause your child serious health problems and is very contagious. This places other children and families at risk. I think that your son should get the immunization for measles.

In brief: Measles

Dr. Joseph Jeu
Dr. Joseph Jeu
Dr. Shontae Buffington