What kind of vaginal infection does this sound like? I haven't had sex for a year until almost two weeks ago. We used a condom. I started to get pain around my vagina opening during sex, it went away after sex. I was fine until a week later i decided to u

Dr. Laura McMullen

In brief: The

The most common reason for bad smelling discharge in a woman in a monogamous relationship is bacterial vaginosis (bv).
Bv is not a sexually transmitted disease, but is an imbalance between the "good" and "bad" bacterial that normally live in the vagina. Douching and having sex can put you at risk since both activities cause a change in the vaginal environment leading to an overgrowth of "bad" bacteria. Many women will complain of a fishy odor, increased discharge and a few may even have itching and discomfort. You should give your doctor a call to see if you have bv. The doctor can test your vaginal discharge to know for certain whether you have it or not. Bv is typically treated with a short course of antibiotics. Your doctor will also probably check you for sexually transmitted diseases since condoms do help protect you, but are not a 100% guarantee against catching one.

In brief: The

Dr. Laura McMullen
Dr. Laura McMullen