Can antibiotics be given to clear infection post knee replacement surgery? My dad had a knee replacement in july. The pain has never went away. The doctor is saying it is possibly infected but wont give antibiotics. He says the knee will have to come out

Dr. Jc Alvarez
Orthopedic Surgery - Reconstruction

In brief: Infected tka

The doctor is correct.
Oral antibiotics cannot cure an infected knee replacement. The knee usually needs to come out and the infection treated prior to placing another knee replacement.

In brief: Infected tka

The doctor is correct.
Dr. Jc Alvarez
Dr. Jc Alvarez
Dr. Mary Engrav
Emergency Medicine

In brief: Your

Your question is concerning to me, in that it sounds like your questions are not being answered and your dad is in pain.
It sounds like you have tried to have these questions explained. I would seek out a second opinion from another orthopedic surgeon. If your dad gets fever, redness, red streaks, or confusion then he would have to be seen as an emergency.

In brief: Your

Dr. Mary Engrav
Dr. Mary Engrav
Dr. Andrea Brand