How can I treat/alleviate symptoms from a possible infection in my finger? About 12 hours ago my left hand middle finger turned red, started getting really hot, moderately swollen, and the pain gets worse by the worse. Oh, and it throbs off and on. I'm th

Dr. Joy Jackson

In brief: I

I would not "watch it for a couple of days before seeing the doctor".
You are dealing with cellulitis (skin infection caused by bacteria). You need antibiotic treatment right away. The reason is because cellulitis can quickly lead to abscesses, gangrene, and thrombophlebitis (inflammation of superficial veins) and in some cases it can even lead to an infection in your bloodstream (sepsis) which can be life threatening. Some things you can do at home if you are unable to see your doctor right away are vitamin supplements(mainly c, e, and zinc), herb therapy(echinacea, thyme), and even acupuncture. Lastly ice is not a good idea, but a cool towel may be helpful. Avoid heat. Good luck.

In brief: I

Dr. Joy Jackson
Dr. Joy Jackson