I have COPD and have a cat in my home.My breathing has seemed to have worsened does having a cat in the home affect your breathi is having the cat in my home worsening my breathing? My breathing has seemed to have worsened after taking the cat into my hom

Dr. Latonya Brown-Puryear
Internal Medicine - Pulmonary Critical Care

In brief: Asthma

Unfortunately it is very likely that the cat is causing your asthma to worsen.
Pet dander is a common asthma trigger. You can always let your cat stay with a friend for a few days. Thoroughly clean your home to remove all remnants of the cat and assess your asthma symptoms. If they are improved or resolve completely then you have your answer. Good luck!

In brief: Asthma

Dr. Latonya Brown-Puryear
Dr. Latonya Brown-Puryear
Dr. Joseph Jeu

In brief: If

If your breathig is worse after having a new cat in your home, you might be allergic to the cat.
You need to find another home for the cat.

In brief: If

Dr. Joseph Jeu
Dr. Joseph Jeu
Dr. Aaron Milstone
Board Certified, Internal Medicine - Pulmonology