A syrinx in my thoracic spine is pressing on one of my nerves. What can I do to fix this?

Dr. Ken Yonemura
Neurosurgery

In brief: Syrinx

A syrinx generally results from an area of prior trauma or at a site in which the normal flow of spinal fluid is altered.
If you do not have spinal cord symptoms and have nerve pain, a concern would be for a disc herniation. Review of your MRI scan would be needed to answer your question.

In brief: Syrinx

Dr. Ken Yonemura
Dr. Ken Yonemura
Dr. Paul Cohen
you need a Neurosurgeon; please ask your doctor to send you to one with your original MRI films(not a disc)
Dr. Karl Schultz
Neurosurgery

In brief: Surgery

While syringomyelia usually don't "press on nerves", they can cause symptoms by disrupting the normal electrical flow through nerves within the spinal cord and affect other pain pathways next to the syrinx.
Symptomatic syringomyelia can be treated with direct surgery which usually involves diverting the fluid from inside the spinal cord to some other space (often with a small plastic tube).

In brief: Surgery

Dr. Karl Schultz
Dr. Karl Schultz