Can i take viagold [sexual performaance for men] when I have high blood pressure? I'm taking metoprolol 50mg twice a day and has it under control.

Dr. Marc Mugmon
Internal Medicine - Cardiology

In brief: Unknown effects

Viagold is a combination of L-Arginine, Siberian Ginseng, White Willow Bark, Jujube, Bamhyx Mari, Cayenne, Wild Yam, and Stinging Nettles.
You are very likely wasting your money taking this stuff since the ingredients have never been shown scientifically to be safe or effective for anything. It may be okay to take with metoprolol, but nobody knows. It's never been studied.

In brief: Unknown effects

Dr. Marc Mugmon
Dr. Marc Mugmon

In brief: I

I think it is important to understand that supplements and herbal remedies differ from traditional medications, both prescription and over-the-counter, in that, by law, they are not required by the government to have the same rigorous standards of proving that they are safe and effective by the fda.
As long as a product has a disclaimer that it does not claim to treat any illness, the company selling it is basically able to make many claims regarding what the product can do. These products may well be effective and safe (although i would not spend my money on them unless they had data showing that they are indeed safe and effective), but they may not be. Also, interactions with medications you take for other conditions may occur, and there is no way of knowing this 100%. I would advise caution. Additionally, be aware that there are a great many products out there offering "male enhancement" or "improved sexual performance". None of these products are regulated by the fda, and none have shown any data proving their safety or efficacy. Despite this, many of the companies manufacturing these products make a great deal of money. I think a good rule of thumb is, if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.

In brief: I

Dr. John Tillett
Dr. John Tillett
Dr. Umesh Patel
Board Certified, Preventive Medicine