I started getting conjunctivitis in my right eye at and now it's on the left and I have a strep throat and a stuffed up nose. Do you know what is wrong?

Dr. William Dieck
Ophthalmology

In brief: ?Viral Conjunctiviti

You may have a viral syndrome that also has ocular manifestations.
Get an exam. Treatment for a viral infection is different than a bacterial conjunctivitis.

In brief: ?Viral Conjunctiviti

Dr. William Dieck
Dr. William Dieck
Dr. Joy Jackson

In brief: Conjunctivitis

Conjunctivitis often spreads to the unaffected eye due to rubbing the affected eye and transferring the bacteria or virus.
You need to be evaluated by your doctor in order to determine if it's viral or bacterial. If it is bacterial, then you will need antibiotic eye drops; a viral conjunctivitis will resolve on it's own in about 10-14 days. Strep throat also needs to be diagnosed by your doctor, and appropriate antibiotics need to be taken. The "stuffed nose" can be due to allergies or a result of a viral illness. If not contraindicated, you can try sudafed for your nasal symptoms. Unfortunately you are suffering from things that may or may not be related. The most important thing is to get the appropriate treatment.

In brief: Conjunctivitis

Dr. Joy Jackson
Dr. Joy Jackson
Dr. William Forsythe
Board Certified, Emergency Medicine