Is retinal detachment surgery a permanent cure? I am a 35-year-old male. I received bad news from my eye doctor a couple of weeks ago. It seems that I have a small retinal detachment. I also have advanced myopia. I am scheduled for a retinal detachment su

Dr. Johnstone Kim
Ophthalmology - Retinal Surgery

In brief: It can be

The success rate of retinal detachment surgery is pretty good.
However, redetachments can occur even with successful surgery so it is important that you follow with your surgeon after the surgery and get regular exams.

In brief: It can be

Dr. Johnstone Kim
Dr. Johnstone Kim
Dr. Jeffrey Whitman
Ophthalmology

In brief: First--you

First--you should ask your retina specialist what his incidence of recurrence is.
Statistically recurrent detachments are rare, but you have no choice here---get it fixed and then have regular check ups in the future to head any issues off at the pass.

In brief: First--you

Dr. Jeffrey Whitman
Dr. Jeffrey Whitman
Dr. Irina Ganelis
Ophthalmology

In brief: Hello, People

Hello, people with high myopia have thin and stretched retinas and are at greater risk for retinal detachment.
You will need to have prophylactic laser if you are found to have any holes or tears in the retina in your good eye if you have already developed retinal detachment. Therefore, you will need regular follow up with dilated exams and scleral depression to help you prevent retinal detachment and any vision loss. Make sure you are aware of the symptoms (flashes, floaters, curtains) and see your doctor right away for treatment. Hope it helps! sincerely, irina ganelis, M.D. http://losangeleseyeinstitute.com.

In brief: Hello, People

Dr. Irina Ganelis
Dr. Irina Ganelis
Dr. John Kim
Ophthalmology

In brief: Patients

Patients with high myopia are at greater risk for retinal tear and detachement.
When this is noted, it must be treated immediately. This does not prevent you from developing another tear or detachement in other areas of your retina in the future.

In brief: Patients

Dr. John Kim
Dr. John Kim
Dr. Warren Strudwick
Board Certified, Sports Medicine