Will giving a kid caffiene at dinner prevent him from going to bed 4 hours later?

Dr. Luis Villaplana

In brief: Do you really want 2

Sweets and caffeine are big time no no's for children.
They can't store the energy, particularly how their brains work. 2 m &m's after dinner and my 3 year old won't/can't stop talking and running, plus when the sugar rush goes, they get irritable. Not worth it, trust me.

In brief: Do you really want 2

Dr. Luis Villaplana
Dr. Luis Villaplana
Dr. Brian Affleck
ENT - Head & Neck Surgery

In brief: Probably

Caffeine is a potent drug used to promote wakefulness.
Although the half life is 3-12 hours in most people, it is likely that you could prevent sleep onset at bedtime as there will be caffeine around at 4 hours after consumption. Best to avoid caffeine in the evening if getting to sleep is a concern.

In brief: Probably

Dr. Brian Affleck
Dr. Brian Affleck
Dr. Valencia Porter
I cannot think of any good reason to give a child caffeine. Best to avoid it.
Dr. Cindy Juster