Will certain types of mattresses help with sleeping with chronic back pain?

Yes.Firmer the bette. Sost mattrasses make your back do the work of supporting your postture and may feel tired from the work when you wake up. But do not make it too hard. You should test it and feel even contact.
For some. There are no magic bullets when it comes to mattresses. One rule of thumb is not too stiff and not to soft. Before spending a lot of money on an expensive mattress, try talking with a physical therapist on strengthening your core muscles to help relieve tension on your back.