What are the benefits and risk for nuclear medicine procedures? I heard that there will be radiation exposure associating with the procedures, how harmful is this to my body?

Dr. Gerald Mandell
Nuclear Medicine

In brief: Physiologic study

Nuclear medicine involves using internal irradiation in order to define function of various organ systems of body, .
Some isotopes are injected iv, inhaled, and some ingested. Most diagnostic nuclear medicine procedures involve low doses of radiation. The isotopes of higher doses are used to treat thyroid diseases or cancer. Benefits are from diagnosis of abnormality that can be detected/ treated.

In brief: Physiologic study

Dr. Gerald Mandell
Dr. Gerald Mandell
Dr. Joseph Accurso
Radiology

In brief: Risk to benefit

Nuclear medicine is primarily about imaging the physiology of the body - how things work.
Nm tests are usually for diagnosis - to learn more about the function (or dysfunction) of a process. Radiation is as low as possible to but keep test accurate. Some nm exams are therapeutic. The best example of this is radioactive iodine therapy for thyroid cancer or hyperthyroidism (over active thyroid).

In brief: Risk to benefit

Dr. Joseph Accurso
Dr. Joseph Accurso
Dr. Laura McMullen

In brief: I've

I've attached a very helpful web site outlining the general benefits and risk of using nuclear medicine.
If you have any specific questions about the procedure which you will be having done, you should call the nuclear medicine department in your hospital and just ask. I'm sure they will be happy to answer any questions you have.

In brief: I've

Dr. Laura McMullen
Dr. Laura McMullen
Dr. Steven Seres