Is neuropathy in your hand permanent? I had shingles to break out on my left during the month of august, the rash has cleared up. Since then it has turned into neuropathy. My question is what is your best recommendation for treatment? I can't bend my inde

Dr. Osman Farooq
Pediatrics - Neurology

In brief: Get checked

Shingles can be a very painful disorder. Even after the skin lesions have cleared up, you can still have neuropathic pain.
I would suggest going to a neurologist if you haven't already. They can prescribe a medication to help relieve the pain.

In brief: Get checked

Dr. Osman Farooq
Dr. Osman Farooq
Dr. Frances Dyro
Neurology

In brief: Shingles

Shingles are caused by re-activation of the varicella virus that causes chicken pox.
Following an attack of chicken pox were develop some immunity but often the virus remains behind in our nerve cells. The virus is stored in the dorsal root ganglion which is the part of the nerve root that deals with feeling. It can affect any part of the body and is often in a band-like outbreak. The name 'shingles' is derived from cingulum the latin word for belt. It has been highly recommended that people over 50 be offered a vaccination for this virus to reduce the incidence and severity of an outbreak. In people over 60 a post-herpetic neuralgia is common and can last months. The sores disappear and the burning pain of the sores turns into electric shock sensations and skin sensitivity where the sores were. I sympathize with you having dealt with a friend and my mother who also had shingles in the left arm. The thing that worries me is that you have swelling and loss of muscle function. Furosemide is a water pill or diuretic, but won't help if your swelling is related to some blockage of blood flow. Something else beside post-herpetic neuralgia is happening. Ask your doctor to refer you to a neurologist for evaluation. He may also consider medication to reduce your pain level. Because outbreaks sometimes occur when the nerve root is irritated by arthritic changes in the spine an EMG test may help find an underlying cause. Good luck to you.

In brief: Shingles

Dr. Frances Dyro
Dr. Frances Dyro
Dr. William Forsythe
Board Certified, Emergency Medicine