What will happen to my body if I have to deprive myself of sleep for several days?

Dr. Michelle Zetoony
Internal Medicine - Sleep Medicine

In brief: Sleep deprivation

All living things require sleep.
Sleep deprivation leads to sleep rebound. Issues that occur include mood disturbance, decreased memory, increased general pain, GI issues and others. Your body after a few days will start reverting to microsleep whether you want to or not. People describe "losing time" and uncontrollable sleepiness or panic.

In brief: Sleep deprivation

All living things require sleep.
Dr. Michelle Zetoony
Dr. Michelle Zetoony
Dr. Sal Aragona
Dentistry

In brief: Short term nothing

There are several phases of sleep and one of the most important levels for maximum rest and renovation is delta phase.
This is the deepest level of sleep in which hgh (human growth hormone) is released and in growing children and adolescents provides one of the most potented hormones that naturally helps the body to grow and develop. This is why infants require so much sleep.

In brief: Short term nothing

Dr. Sal Aragona
Dr. Sal Aragona
Dr. Peter Kurzweil