Removing my tonsils for sleep apnea: will I have a lot of pain and how long will it take to recover?

Dr. Patrick Melder
ENT - Head & Neck Surgery

In brief: 8-9/10 pain

Tonsillectomy is a painful surgery :( sorry.
.. I tell my patients that they will drop about 15 pounds from not wanting to eat... That can be :) or :( depending on the circumstance. If you need your tonsils out... You need your tonsils out... No point in sugar coating the truth.

In brief: 8-9/10 pain

Dr. Patrick Melder
Dr. Patrick Melder
Dr. James Donley
Dentistry

In brief: Varies with person

Definitely at your age there will be more discomfort and take longer to recover. If this takes care of the sleep apnea, it is definitely a wise decision.
Discuss with your surgeon how much to expect.

In brief: Varies with person

Dr. James Donley
Dr. James Donley

Depending on how severe the surgery is, or how large your tonsils are will determine how long it will take to heal.
It should fill like a bad sore throat.

It should fill like a bad sore throat.
Dr. Richard Leaderman
Dr. Richard Leaderman
Dr. Vikram Patel