Can a gauged ear get smaller if the gauge is taken out ? My 14 year old nephew has both of his ears gauged and he says that they will not go smaller even if he takes them out so it is pointless for him to do it or to start going smaller again. I am not

Dr. Lonnie Smith
ENT - Head & Neck Surgery

In brief: Large hole in ears

Those types of piercing in the ears will need to be surgically repaired.
The damage done is too large for them to get noticeably smaller on its own.

In brief: Large hole in ears

Dr. Lonnie Smith
Dr. Lonnie Smith
Dr. Thomas Lamperti
Facial Plastic Surgery

In brief: Depending

Depending on how long he has had his ears gauged the hole may be able to contract down if he leaves them out.
It doesn't sound like he's interested in trying that out right now, though. It is possible to have an in-office procedure to close the holes if he ever decides he wants to in the future.

In brief: Depending

Dr. Thomas Lamperti
Dr. Thomas Lamperti
Dr. Cindy Juster