If I wake up choking from throwing up, does this mean I have sleep apnea?

Dr. Sherin Ibrahim Howett
Internal Medicine - Sleep Medicine
In brief: No
Vomiting is not a typical symptom of sleep apnea.
The gasping or choking sensation that's mentioned is from air hunger and not from anything that has to do with your stomach. You should talk to your doctor about throwing up at night and find the reason why. Sleep apnea symptoms include snoring, dry mouth, urinating at night frequently, morning headaches, unrefreshing sleep & daytime sleepiness.

In brief: No
Dr. Sherin Ibrahim Howett
Dr. Sherin Ibrahim Howett
Dr. Yash Khanna
Your symptoms of waking up choking and vomiting are symptoms of severe Gastr Esophageal Reflux,which makes the acid in stomac find its way through esophagus into your throat and wakes you up as it can find its way way inti your trachea if you keep sleeping,it can be serious,you need to see a gastroenterologist and you may need an endoscopic exam and a trial of proton pump inhibitots,so see your MD
Dr. Martin Fried
General Practice
In brief: Check it out
There are many conditions including post nasal drip, and reflux that can cause throwing up.
Sleep apnea is another one- you can get tested for reflux and sleep apnea. Discuss it with your doctor.

In brief: Check it out
Dr. Martin Fried
Dr. Martin Fried
In brief: Not necessarily
This could be a type of mucous buildup from draining sinuses, allergies or other unrelated problems.
I would not rule out sleep apnea, but you need to have a sleep study performed to get definitive answers.

In brief: Not necessarily
Dr. Jeffrey Bassman
Dr. Jeffrey Bassman
Dr. Lisa Shives
In brief: No
Nocturnal vomiting is not typically a feature of sleep apnea, but I am very concerned that you could choke, or even suffocate, and so i urge you to see a doctor immediately to have this evaluated.

In brief: No
Dr. Lisa Shives
Dr. Lisa Shives