Can I have multiple liposuction procedures? I am dissatisfied with several areas of my body, including my buttocks, knees, thighs and abdomen. I read that only a certain amount of fat can be taken out during a liposuction procedure. Is recommended to have

Dr. Tom Pousti
Surgery - Plastics

In brief: Yes, but...

Yes, assuming you are a good candidate for liposuction surgery ( not overweight, but concerned with localized areas of adipose tissue and good quality skin elasticity), several areas can be treated at the same time.
Safety should be your surgeon's and your first priority with careful attention paid to volumes of tissue removed, fluid “resuscitation”, duration of surgery etc.

In brief: Yes, but...

Dr. Tom Pousti
Dr. Tom Pousti
Dr. Azita Madjidi
Surgery - Plastics

In brief: Possible

Make sure you are not getting lipo to lose weight.
Liposuction is not a weight loss procedure. It is just done to help with the shape and contour. The amount of fat that can be removed safely as an outpatient is limited. Beyond that you will need to be admitted overnight to avoid serious complications.

In brief: Possible

Dr. Azita Madjidi
Dr. Azita Madjidi
Dr. Michael Epstein
Surgery - Plastics

In brief: When

When considering liposuction as a remedy to treat disproportionate fat collections, the surgeon must assess the estimated volume to be removed, the quality of the skin, and the underlying body contour. Ideally, you as the patient, only want to have liposuction once ( at least in a particular area of the body ).
It is much more difficult to have liposuction a second time in a given area. It is also true that there is a variable limit to what should be removed in one operation, for safety purposes. Therefore, if you have a lot of fat to be removed over many different areas of the body, it would be wise to choose regions of the body that will be operated on at different times. The operations are usually spaced out no sooner than 3-4 months apart to allow your blood count to return to normal and reduce your risk of other life threatening complications.

In brief: When

Dr. Michael Epstein
Dr. Michael Epstein
Dr. John Mancoll
Surgery - Plastics

There is safe amount that can be removed at one time.
The american society of plastic surgery recommends no more than 5000cc be removed as an out patient. But you can have multiple treatments spread out if more is needed. I usually recommend 2 -3 months between surgeries. Although much larger amounts have been removed at one time the risk and complications increase.

Dr. John Mancoll
Dr. John Mancoll
Dr. Francisco Agullo
Surgery - Plastics

Liposuction should be kept at under 5 liters per procedure as an outpatient procedure.
Depending on your examination and areas of concern multiple areas can be addresses in one surgery or divided into multiple sessions.

Dr. Francisco Agullo
Dr. Francisco Agullo
Dr. Sharon Ann Clark
Surgery - Plastics

In brief: Each session 5000 ml

The goal of liposuction is to improve the body contour. One is at a healthy weight & in good physical condition.
If one gains weight after liposuction, the fat cells in areas not suctioned get disproportionately large, giving an odd shape & more internal unhealthy fat (i.e.on the omentum). Safe mount suctioned is based on the idea of an "internal burn" with needed fluid & protein & blood to heal.

In brief: Each session 5000 ml

Dr. Sharon Ann Clark
Dr. Sharon Ann Clark