Would a deep plane face lift leave me with less sensation in my face? I had a breast lift years ago, so i know that cosmetic surgery can cause some loss of feeling in the treatment area. I'd like to reduce the sagging in my cheeks and around my mouth with

Dr. Marc Yune
Facial Plastic Surgery

In brief: Not necessarily.

A deep plane facelift may be less at risk for sensory changes.
Consult a specialist in facelifting for a detailed consultation. www.asc-psd.com

In brief: Not necessarily.

Dr. Marc Yune
Dr. Marc Yune
Dr. Thomas Fiala
All facelifts can have some numbness associated with them. It's almost unavoidable when you lift and reposition the skin.
Dr. Barry Cohen
Surgery - Plastics

In brief: Deep plane

Facelifts put your motor nerves at higher risk, and superficial plane facelifts have more numbness (sensory nerve dysfunction).

In brief: Deep plane

Dr. Barry Cohen
Dr. Barry Cohen
Dr. Robert Steely
Surgery - Plastics

In brief: In the Short Term- Y

Good morning! almost all facial lifting procedures can lead to some temporary numbness after surgery- but when properly performed, this tends to resolve over 1 to 4 months.
There are many variations to a "deep plane" facelift and while the superficial skin nerves are more likely to be spared, the deeper, larger nerves are in fact more at risk and can potentially lead to a a longer term numbness.

In brief: In the Short Term- Y

Dr. Robert Steely
Dr. Robert Steely
Dr. Dennis Dass
Surgery - Plastics

In brief: Deep

Deep plane facelift has fallen out of favor because of the high incidence (10%) of facial nerve injury.
The facial nerve does not provide sensation, but rather controls movement of facial muscles. Facial nerve injury results in paralysis of facial muscles. Most plastic surgeons elevated the smas as part of a facelift. The smas is the layer that contains the facial muscles. Elevating this layer provides a long term result, and facial nerve injury is extremely rare (<1%). All typical facelifts will result in some skin numbness, but this generally resolves in about 3-6 months. The smas facelift will provide full rejuvenation of the face and neck.

In brief: Deep

Dr. Dennis Dass
Dr. Dennis Dass
Dr. Ralph Rosato
Surgery - Plastics

In brief: Maybe

There is a temporary loss of sensation after facelift most patients have return to normal.
However there is always a chance of sensation change after surgery.

In brief: Maybe

Dr. Ralph Rosato
Dr. Ralph Rosato
Dr. Anthony Sclafani
Facial Plastic Surgery

In brief: Probably not.

In general loss of skin sensitivity is noted for a few weeks to month after any type of facelift, but sensation generally returns to normal over several months.

In brief: Probably not.

Dr. Anthony Sclafani
Dr. Anthony Sclafani
Dr. Adam Hamawy
Surgery - Plastics

In brief: Not really

Any facelift will leave you with decreased sensation along the side of your face and in front of your ears for several months.
Most of that sensation returns however, not always. This happen with all the techniques.

In brief: Not really

Dr. Adam Hamawy
Dr. Adam Hamawy
Dr. David Sherris
Facial Plastic Surgery

In brief: Depends

In 5 % or less of facelifts you may get deceased sensation somewhere in the face.
It is usually around the ears if it occurs.

In brief: Depends

Dr. David Sherris
Dr. David Sherris
Dr. Buck Parker
Board Certified, Surgery