How do I choose between saline or silicone implants for my breast augmentation? I am wondering about the bottom line benefits to either silicone or saline implant breast augmentation as a long term solution for my lifestyle. I'm active, enjoy sports, yoga

Dr. Patrick Schaner
Surgery - Plastics

In brief: Discuss with surgeon

The majority of my patients prefer the look and feel of silicone.
There are now different grades of silicone go choose from as well. Silicone is reserved for patients over 23 years of age. So outside of patients younger than 22, i will recommend saline implants to patients with more noticeable differences in their preop breast size.

In brief: Discuss with surgeon

Dr. Patrick Schaner
Dr. Patrick Schaner
Dr. Joseph Mele
Surgery - Plastics

In brief: It's personal

The choice is always made on an individual basis.
Most women prefer the feel of silicone over saline. When there is leak, saline is usually easier to clean up after, though the newer cohesive breast implants have helped with this. Both breast implant types can hold up to exercise. Moreover, most my patients who have had both, prefer the feel of silicone filled breast implants.

In brief: It's personal

Dr. Joseph Mele
Dr. Joseph Mele
Dr. Gary Tuma
Surgery - Plastics

In brief: Saline vs Silicone

You must be 22 years of age or older according to the FDA in the US.
Silicone implants look and feel more natural because of the gel basis of the implant. There is also less rippling with silicone implants. Your activity level has no bearing on the type of implant used.

In brief: Saline vs Silicone

Dr. Gary Tuma
Dr. Gary Tuma
Dr. Ricardo Rodriguez
Surgery - Plastics

In brief: Saline

Saline implants are silicone shells that are inserted empty and then filled with sterile saline after they’re placed into your breasts.
Silicone implants are inserted into the breasts in their full gel form (just as you see them in the office during your consult). More than 90% of my patients choose silicone implants since they definitely have a more natural feel. For patients also having a breast lift with implants, i strongly recommend silicone over saline.

In brief: Saline

Dr. Ricardo Rodriguez
Dr. Ricardo Rodriguez
Dr. Jeffrey Kyllo
Surgery - Plastics

In brief: Currently,

Currently, more women in my practice are requesting silicone implants over saline implants.
Most women are interested in a softer, more natural feel and usually the silicone implants will give this. I find that women with silicone implants tend to be more pleased with the result. Generally, both implants will appear the same but silicone will feel softer. Saline implants can be problematic in thin women with small breasts as you can often see and feel rippling of the implant through the skin. Both implants will eventually fail and need to be replaced.

In brief: Currently,

Dr. Jeffrey Kyllo
Dr. Jeffrey Kyllo
Dr. David Levens
Surgery - Plastics

In brief: Your choice

Saline and silicone are both good choices.
Saline pros: smaller incision, easier to adjust asymmetry in surgery, easier to detect implant rupture, eliminates possible patient anxiety regarding silicone, less cost; cons: heavier, more rippling possible, less natural feeling. Silicone pros: more natural feeling, less heavy on tissues, more form stable; cons: longer incision, rupture less obvious.

In brief: Your choice

Dr. David Levens
Dr. David Levens
Dr. Daniel Careaga
Surgery - Plastics

In brief: Lot's to discuss

The choice of implant will not effect your active lifestyle.
The bottom line is that as a rule, silicone has a more natural look and feel. If those are important to you i would recommend silicone. Additionally, there is the new "gummy bear" implant which was approved in april. Dr. Daniel careaga www.305plasticsurgery.Com.

In brief: Lot's to discuss

Dr. Daniel Careaga
Dr. Daniel Careaga
Dr. Tom Pousti
Surgery - Plastics

In brief: Saline vs. Silicone

If a patient has very low body fat and/or very little breast tissue, the silicone gel implants may provide a more "natural" result.
In other words, these implants tend to have fewer problems with rippling. On the other hand, detection of silicone gel breast implant leakage may require MRI studies; leakage may not be detectable clinically. There is more information on my website.

In brief: Saline vs. Silicone

Dr. Tom Pousti
Dr. Tom Pousti
Dr. Stan Castor
Surgery - Plastics

In brief: Feel the implants

Most of my patients choose to have silicone implants because of the more natural feel of them. Silicone implants also have the potential to last many years longer than saline implants making silicone the better value.

In brief: Feel the implants

Dr. Stan Castor
Dr. Stan Castor
Dr. Bryan McIntosh
Surgery - Plastics

In brief: Saline

Saline implants are essentially a bag filled with salt water. The implant is usually filled so that the bag is taut and not loose and floppy.
However, a defect in the shell of the implant will result in the saline spilling out of the shell. The implant will deflate and your breast will return to its preoperative size and shape very rapidly. The look and feel of saline implants can be very natural, however. Some women still have a fear of silicone gel implants, though there has never been any documented correlation between their use and someone developing an autoimmune disease. When currently used silicone gel implants develop a defect in the shell, the gel maintains its shape and position, and it does not spill out and get absorbed by the body. Nothing happens. The only way you'd know a silicone gel implant ruptured is with an ultrasound or breast MRI specifically looking for a rupture, and even those are not 100% accurate. In my opinion, silicone gel implants usually look and feel more natural. They are usually about twice the price of saline implants. The rupture rate of these implants is quite low, however, and the major manufacturers in the United States provide a warranty replacing the implants for free and an amount of money to be applied towards the procedure. With respect to your lifestyle, either type of implant should be fine. The best way to determine which type of implant is optimal for you is to be evaluated by a plastic surgeon who has experience with these implants. Not every woman is an ideal candidate for saline breast augmentation, and the same applies for silicone gel breast augmentation.

In brief: Saline

Dr. Bryan McIntosh
Dr. Bryan McIntosh
Dr. Mark Pack
Board Certified, Surgery