Can you get hemorrhoids from flying on a plane? Does the elevation have an effect on them or is just from sitting? A friend said she got a hemorrhoid from riding on a plane.

Dr. Eric Kaplan
Surgery - Colorectal

In brief: Airplane travel

By itself does not cause hemorrhoids.
But air travel can cause severe dehydration, leading to constipation at conclusion of flight and thus straining and a flare of hemorrhoids. You lose 20 ounces of fluids per hour of air travel just sleeping on the plane. I recommend drinkingat least 20 ounces every hour of air travel and must be caffeine free/alcohol free fluids, to avoid constipation.

In brief: Airplane travel

By itself does not cause hemorrhoids.
Dr. Eric Kaplan
Dr. Eric Kaplan
Dr. Joseph Jeu

In brief: Hemorrhoids

Hemorrhoids can occur with heavy lifting and straining.
They are very common. It seems that your friend's problem was probably a coincidence during an airplane flight.

In brief: Hemorrhoids

Dr. Joseph Jeu
Dr. Joseph Jeu
Dr. William Forsythe
Board Certified, Emergency Medicine