If I have chronic depression and severe sleep problems, can I take trazodone or remeron (mirtazapine) to help? Which is better?

Depends. Trazodone is often used to help people sleep but it is a very weak antidepressant. Remeron (mirtazapine) is a much more effective antidepressant. Make sure your diagnosis is correct, though. Bipolar depression frequently causes severe sleep problems and requires different treatment. A psychiatrist or family physician with an interest in psychiatry can help you sort this out.
EITHER. Both are sedating antidepressants. Do you mean to help with sleep or for the depression? Many things to help with depression and sleep. Speak to your physician. A lot of reasons for insomnia including but not exclusively depression.