I have been taking seroquel (quetiapine) for depression and sleep issues, how much can I take before it becomes unhealthy?

Ben Ferguson
Surgery
In brief: It depends.
Everyone responds differently to drugs based on body size, metabolism, and other factors, but the maximum recommended dose for most uses of seroquel (quetiapine) involving depression is around 300mg/day total at the high end.
For insomnia, usually patients are started at a dose closer to 25-50mg/day. Seroquel (quetiapine) can have several side effects; see your doctor if you are experiencing something concerning.

In brief: It depends.
Ben Ferguson
Ben Ferguson
Answer assisted by Ben Ferguson, Medical Student
Dr. William Holmes
Pediatrics - Psychiatry
In brief: Varies
The dose of seroquel (quetiapine) that people take will vary, but it is possible to take several hundred milligrams for depressive symptoms.
A dose of 400-600mg would not be unusual if needed and if tolerated.

In brief: Varies
Dr. William Holmes
Dr. William Holmes