How long after my mastectomy will i be able to return to running? I enjoy running in road races with my family. Once I have my mastectomy, how long before i can begin training and running again? Is there a time period that i won't be able to exercise or c

Dr. Regina Hampton
Breast Surgery

In brief: Different for all

This will depend if you had reconstruction or not.
You may have to consult with your surgeon and plastic surgeon to find out their specific instructions. My motto with my patients: "if it feels good, it is okay to do". I like to encourage people getting back into their normal routines. Exercise is great for recovery. You may want to start with walking and then work back up to running.

In brief: Different for all

Dr. Regina Hampton
Dr. Regina Hampton

In brief: 2 months

Does depend on your incision and healing progress.
But if you are athletic, lean, and devoted, you will be allowed, even encouraged to start with walking, then running very soon!

In brief: 2 months

Dr. Creighton Wright
Dr. Creighton Wright
Dr. Joy Jackson

In brief: Honestly

Honestly this is a question that only your surgeon can answer. I would guess if you have no other issues that would interfere with your training, then as soon as the surgical scar heals, which normally takes 4-6 weeks, then you should be ok to run again.
Always be aware of the effect the exercise has on your body, if you are uncomfortable or experience pain then it may be too soon. Like i stated before please confirm with the surgeon performing the mastectomy. Good luck.

In brief: Honestly

Dr. Joy Jackson
Dr. Joy Jackson
Dr. Dennis Higginbotham