Sore throat my throat is sore not like a sore throat. Like a lump swallowing not sure if I need to see a. Doctor.

A . A sore throat is a pretty non-specific complaint that can have many causes. Some people will also complain of a "lump in the throat" accompanying the soreness. Most commonly, it is caused by a virus and really shouldn't last more than a few days. A sore throat or a "lump" sensation that persists could be something more serious such as a chronic infection, gastroesophageal reflux disease, and in rare cases, even cancer (especially if you smoke, drink or have been exposed to the hpv virus). Because of this, it is important that you see your doctor or an otolaryngologist (ear nose and throat specialist) to find the cause of your sore throat so it can be properly and effectively treated.