Could I be taking the wrong acid reflux medicine if I am still constantly burping and having chest pains? I have had acid reflux for over a year now and I have been taking zegerid OTC since I don't have health insurance. Recently I have been constantly bu

Have . Have you had an endoscopy to look at your esophagus? That sounds like very severe heartburn and you should be completely evaluated. I understand your insurance concerns, but please seek out a local clinic (there are free clinics that can often help you so ask for that). If the zegerid isn't working, then you could also add carafate (sucralfate) which works a different way (it coats the esophagus/stomach) which may help you. Also as you know, if you are overweight then losing weight will help, sleep with your head elevated, and don't smoke or drink which increases stomach acid. Please have a medical evaluation by a GI doctor as soon as you can.
It . It sounds like you've pretty much "covered the waterfront" when it comes to acid suppression. As you know, zegerid is a combination of Omeprazole (a proton pump inhibitor that interferes with acid production) and sodium bicarbonate (an acid neutralizer). Tums, maalox, and gas-x contain various combinations of antacids and emulsifiers (anti-foaming agents). Pepcid (famotidine) is an h2 blocker that interferes with acid production through a pathway that differs from proton pump inhibitors. Your persistent troubles are what physicians call "red flag" symptoms. When a patient with reflux or ulcer symptoms doesn't get better with the usual medications, it's time to consider upper endoscopy. While you haven't done anything "wrong" to this point, it would be a mistake to ignore your symptoms. Despite your financial situation, it's time to see your doctor. I hope things work out well for you.