How do I know if my snoring is caused by sleep apnea or not?

Sleep study. The only sure way to know is to get a sleep study. Clinical data has proven time and time again that self reported symptoms and even a clinical exam by a doctor do not accurately predict apnea in a snoring patient... Get a sleep study.
Snoring is a symptom. Snoring is only a symptom. Sleep apnea is a serious health condition that very often (but not always) has snoring as part of it. If you wake up tired and are sleepy during the day you might have apnea. If you frequently fall asleep while watching a movie or tv and fall asleep right away when you lay down you might have apnea. The only way to know is with a sleep study.
Get it checked out! Seek medical help to determine to cause of your snoring. Typically a collapse airway is involved and today, a simple overnight take home sleep test can provide all the information needed to determine if a potentially life threatening, life shortening condition of obstructive sleep apnea may be at play. Do it, it may save your life!