Is evisceration eye surgery the best solution to treat an eye that has atrophied? Seven years ago, i was diagnosed with a benign brain tumor. During surgery my optic nerve was damaged, and i lost the vision in my right eye. My eye is beginning to shrink a

Dr. Keshav Narain
Ophthalmology - Retinal Surgery

In brief: Depends

For an eye that doesn't see and is atrophic or pthisical, evisceration is an option.
Typically oculoplastic surgeons can place an implant in the scleral shell left behind in an evisceration. This enables natural movement of the artificial eye. From a cosmetic standpoint, evisceration can lead to excellent result. Whether it is ideal for you depends on condition of eye, appearance, and more.

In brief: Depends

Dr. Keshav Narain
Dr. Keshav Narain
Dr. Ron Pelton
Facial Plastic Surgery

In brief: The

The medical term for a shrinking/painful eye is phthisis.
There are several ways to deal with this problem. Some doctors will do an injection of something into the eye socket to decrease the pain. One type of medicine is Lidocaine (short acting) and another is alcohol. The alcohol injection is painful and can incite severe inflammation. I never do this. Another way of dealing with this problem is surgery. One type of surgery is called an enucleation. With this surgery, the entire eyeball is removed intact. An implant is placed in the socket and the tissue is closed over this. Another type of surgery is evisceration. With this surgery, the cornea and the contents inside the eye are removed but the rest of the eye is left undisturbed. The implant is placed inside the now-hollow eye and the tissue is closed over this. The cosmetic result of an evisceration is generally superior to that of an enucleation. Hope that helps.

In brief: The

Dr. Ron Pelton
Dr. Ron Pelton
Dr. Mark Pack
Board Certified, Surgery