Will a deep plane face lift take more years off my face than a traditional face lift? As i've gotten older, it seems as though my cheeks are sliding down, and the area around my mouth looks heavier. Is a deep plane face lift the right choice to help with

Dr. Suzanne Galli
Facial Plastic Surgery

In brief: Deep plane facelift

Studies have shown that a deep plane lift allows for the most elevation of the underlying tissues.
Whether this is the right procedure for you can be determined by a physical examination only.

In brief: Deep plane facelift

Dr. Suzanne Galli
Dr. Suzanne Galli
Dr. Tanveer Janjua
Facial Plastic Surgery

In brief: Facelift names

It is very hard for even surgeons to agree on which facelift takes off more years and more so which one looks more natural.
You are better off focusing on finding a good facelift surgeon instead of focusing on the kind of facelift. It is the end result that matters and not the way you get there. Deep plane facelift is just another way to get there.

In brief: Facelift names

Dr. Tanveer Janjua
Dr. Tanveer Janjua
Dr. David Sherris
Facial Plastic Surgery

In brief: Probably

Deep plane facelift usually does a little better than traditional facelift for the cheek folds near the mouth.
Both are excellent procedures. Ask your surgeon what is best for you.

In brief: Probably

Dr. David Sherris
Dr. David Sherris
Dr. Gregory Laurence
Surgery - Vascular

In brief: Even

Even a non-deep-plane-facelift-expert like myself can address this question! very few facelift experts feel that the huge risk of this procedure gives a great chance of a better result.
That being said, there are some experts who are qualified to do this procedure and it does deliver good results. You should think once, twice, thrice before moving ahead with such a procedure.

In brief: Even

Dr. Gregory Laurence
Dr. Gregory Laurence
Dr. Adam Hamawy
Surgery - Plastics

In brief: The

The simple answer is no.
An experienced surgeon should be able to deliver good results with any of the techniques. Do your research and look at before and after photos and see what your surgeon's results look like not just a few month later or even at a year. What do they look like a few years later? A poorly done deep plane facelift will look worse than a well done facelift in a more superficial plane. Be careful also on what you mean by "deep plane". For some that my mean below the muscles and right on top of the bone. And others that may mean above the muscle but deep to the smas, the soft fibrofatty tissue in the face that covers the muscle. In experienced hands, a "deep" smas facelift is very powerful and have very long lasting results.

In brief: The

The simple answer is no.
Dr. Adam Hamawy
Dr. Adam Hamawy
Dr. Robert Brueck
Surgery - Plastics

In brief: I

I am not so sure that a deep plane facelift will necessarily give you the best or a better result.
Going to a good surgeon who has a lot of experience will guarantee a greater chance of getting a good reult.Tightening the deeper tissues and removal of aged, lax skin is essential.

In brief: I

Dr. Robert Brueck
Dr. Robert Brueck
Dr. Rian Maercks
Surgery - Plastics

In brief: Be

Be careful selecting a technique instead of a surgeon.
Deep plane facelifts were developed by great thinkers and surgeons in the field of plastic surgery, however almost all have abandoned this technique. It is clear from published papers and general consensus of our field that a deep plane facelift does. It have clear advantages in an average facelift and carries with it increased risk of facial nerve damage and certainly prolongs recovery and drastically increases amount and duration of swelling. While there certainly are a few talented plastic surgeons that deliver excellent results with deep plane lifts they are rare. A true deep plane face lifts enters a plane beneath the facial musculature to suspend the muscles. It is very easy to create an unnatural appearance in this way. Some use the terms deep plane inappropriately as a marketing technique. In my facelift practice only in certain patients i add a small component of deep plane lifting. This is in the creation of a very small dissection under the muscle next to the eye. This aids with deep festoons and periocular aesthetics in the right patient. In general i would avoid deep plane lifts but an excellent plastic and reconstructive surgeon should be able to analyze your face and select the right procedures from their skill set customized to you. Definitely avoid anything pitched as mini or fitted to lifestyle! i hope this helps! all the best, rian maercks M.D.

In brief: Be

Dr. Rian Maercks
Dr. Rian Maercks