Dating and mono hi! i was diagnosed with mono on 9/21/11. My symptoms started showing about 1.5 weeks prior. I am feeling much better but i've read that you can be contagious for the first 6 months --not sure if that means from the date of infection (incu

Dr. Michael Ein
Internal Medicine - Infectious Disease

In brief: 18 months

Epstein barr virus the cause of mononucleosis is spread by kissing.
Once you are infected you shead virus in your saliva for 18 months from the date of your infection, long after you've recovered. This is how mono is spread from seemingly healthy people to susceptible partners who they kiss.

In brief: 18 months

Dr. Michael Ein
Dr. Michael Ein
Dr. Joseph Peter
EBV is not spread by Kissing alone. Many of my adolescent Patients feel guilty and embarrased when Infectious Mono is diagnosed and so are their conservative parents .EBV is viable in Saliva for several hours outside the body [Eg. Sharing cups ].Lets not forget we humans are the only reservoirs and approximately 90% of US adults have been infected.
Dr. Laura McMullen

In brief: Infectious

Infectious mono is a viral illness caused by the epstein barr virus (ebv).
It is spread primarily through saliva which is why it is also known as the "kissing disease". Good news for you: 95% of adults aged 35 to 40 have already been exposed to the virus and are immune to it. Even among people who catch ebv, many are not symptomatic, so special precautions (such as no kissing) are not needed. I attached a link to the page on ebv from the center for disease control with more information.

In brief: Infectious

Dr. Laura McMullen
Dr. Laura McMullen
Dr. Peter Kurzweil