Does medical marijuana help with insomnia?

In brief: No
Substance abuse (either the substances, withdrawal symptoms from the substances, or both) can cause insomnia.
The neurological / psychiatric conditions that lead a person to substance abuse are often conditions that can cause insomnia.

In brief: No
Dr. Alan Wartenberg
Addiction Medicine
In brief: Not my choice of med
Firstly, medications should be the last resort for chronic insomnia, which is very different from occasional insomnia, where otc drugs or prescription drugs are very helpful.
Marijuana rarely puts users to sleep, and the amount you would need to consume to do that would be very large. Talk to your doctor about your use of caffeine, your sleep hygiene issues and get some help on non-drug sleep aids.

In brief: Not my choice of med
Dr. Alan Wartenberg
Dr. Alan Wartenberg