My son (15 months) has a mild cold. Runny nose, cough and low grade fever. 100.8 recally. Can i give echinacea for babies to get his though this better?

Dr. Laura McMullen

In brief: According

According to the national institute of health center for complimentary and alternative medicine, there is no evidence that shows that echinacea is protective against illness or speeds recovery.
It was a very popular supplement 5 years ago, but as research started to show that it was ineffective in a adults and especially children, it began to fall out of favor. I would not recommend using it children. The best methods for treating congestion in an infant/toddler are saline nasal drops, nasal suctioning with a bulb syringe and a cool or warm mist humidifier. There are no safe cough or cold medications for children under 4 years of age. If your child seems to be having difficulty breathing, call their doctor right away. Anytime a child has difficulty breathing (respiratory distress), they need immediate medical attention. The signs of respiratory distress are: -rapid breathing (more than 60 times a minute) -grunting or gasping with breathing -flaring of the nostrils -working hard and using extra muscles to breathe such as sucking in at the neck or under the rib cage -blue or dusky coloring -change in speech or level of alertness.

In brief: According

Dr. Laura McMullen
Dr. Laura McMullen
Dr. Jack Mutnick
Internal Medicine - Allergy & Immunology

In brief: I wouldn't

None of the herbals are tested and approved by the fda so i would strongly recommend against this.
Seeing your pediatrician would be my recommendation.

In brief: I wouldn't

Dr. Jack Mutnick
Dr. Jack Mutnick
Dr. Marsha Davis