I'm a 20 year old female, 5'5" , 265 lbs. and have always been overweight. I have gone to camps, tried fad diets, tried working out and eating right. Nothing seems to work for me. I don't have a thyroid problem. Can I ask my doctor put me on appetite supp

Dr. Pouya Shafipour

In brief: Probably yes

Based on your height and weight you do qualify for an appetite suppressant.
However there are some heart conditions that might prevent you from being able to go on an appetite suppressant. It's best to see a weight-loss specialist who uses appetite suppressant on a regular basis and get a thorough evaluation. Appetite suppressant's best work when you're on a diet & very effective in short term.

In brief: Probably yes

Dr. Pouya Shafipour
Dr. Pouya Shafipour
Dr. Scott Bolhack
Wound care

In brief: Drugs and diet

Drugs are not the way to success.
You should have a complete evaluation and find a physician that participates in a comprehensive life change program that involves nutritional changes, exercise, and psychological/behavior modification.

In brief: Drugs and diet

Drugs are not the way to success.
Dr. Scott Bolhack
Dr. Scott Bolhack
Dr. Elizabeth Lyster

In brief: It

It sounds like you have a long history of abnormal metabolism, which can be very sad and frustrating.
To answer your question, an appetite suppressant can be helpful (if you don't have any medical reasons not to be prescribed this type of medication), but it might not help all on its own. Regarding your "normal" thyroid, most doctors do 1 or 2 thyroid tests and conclude that people are "normal". The first thing i would recommend to you is to have a thorough panel of thyroid tests, including checking a reverse T3 (liothyronine) level (not all labs can do this test). I would also check other hormone levels, adrenal function, vitamin levels, and possibly even viral or other infectious causes of abnormal metabolism. These imbalances and/or infections can be effectively treated to help you reach a healthy weight. For more information, including studies, handouts and videos, please see www.Holtorfmed.Com.

In brief: It

Dr. Elizabeth Lyster
Dr. Elizabeth Lyster
Dr. Adam Smith