I have joint pain in my knees and when i get up in the morning it hurts when i stand up on my feet sometimes what can it be my knees have been hurting for a few years just in the past 2 years it has gotten worse when i stand up after sitting down or when

Dr. Neal Birnbaum
Internal Medicine - Rheumatology

In brief: Since

Since your symptoms have been slowly progressive over several years rather than acute in nature, this probably represents degenerative arthritis, also known as osteoarthritis.
The knees and low back are common sites for degenerative arthritis as we grow older. Start with a visit to your family doctor. He/she can perform a history and physical exam and may also wish to obtain x-rays of the areas that are bothering you. Depending on the severity of the findings, treatment may be as simple as over the counter pain relievers or as complex as total knee replacement. If you are overweight, weight loss will benefit both your knees and back.

In brief: Since

Dr. Neal Birnbaum
Dr. Neal Birnbaum
Dr. Warren Strudwick
Board Certified, Sports Medicine