Is bloody discharge a sign for something serious? I am a virgin and skipped my period last month, now I have bloody vaginal discharge.

Dr. Laura McMullen

In brief: The

The way the menstrual cycle works is that in the weeks leading up to your period, your hormones cause the lining of the uterus to build up in preparation for implantation of a fertilized egg.
If there is no fertilized egg, then the hormone level drops and the uterus sheds its lining and that is the blood you see during your period. Sometimes when you skip a period, that lining is still just sitting in your uterus and bits may come off causing bloody discharge as you await your next period. Common things that can cause a missed period are: - pregnancy - excessive weight loss or gain - stress - travel - illness - increased exercise - medications (especially certain birth control methods) also, many women are irregular and miss periods in the first couple years they get their periods. Bloody discharge is more concerning if there is a concern for a foreign object in the vagina (such as a forgotten tampon), if the woman has already undergone menopause, or if it is associated with pain, foul odor, or pregnancy. If you have any questions, please contact your doctor to discuss further.

In brief: The

Dr. Laura McMullen
Dr. Laura McMullen
Dr. Adam Levy