2 doctors weighed in:

What kind of testing is needed for chronic exposure to carbon monoxide and natural gas leaks? What kind of testing is needed for chronic exposure to carbon monoxide and natural gas leaks from gas furnace? Or what type of doctor to see? Chronic exposure

2 doctors weighed in
Dr. Mary Engrav
Emergency Medicine

In brief: The

The best way to find thorough testing in your area is to contact your local poison center. They will be able to direct you to a toxicologist who can guide you in the right direction.

In brief: The

The best way to find thorough testing in your area is to contact your local poison center. They will be able to direct you to a toxicologist who can guide you in the right direction.
Dr. Mary Engrav
Dr. Mary Engrav
Thank
Dr. Stephen Christensen
Family Medicine

In brief: Carbon

Carbon monoxide poisoning -- whether acute or chronic -- is determined by measuring your carboxyhemoglobin levels.
In cases of overexposure, your carboxyhemoglobin level will be elevated, but it will only remain high as long as you continue to be exposed to carbon monoxide. It is very difficult to document carbon monoxide poisoning (or exposure to natural gas leaks) two years after exposure ceased. There have been scattered reports of chronic, low-level carbon monoxide exposure leading to permanent memory loss, tremors, or learning disorders, but it isn't clear if such exposures cause permanent neurologic damage in all people. If you are having persistent symptoms you believe are related to carbon monoxide exposure between 1999 and 2009, a neurologist might be able to sort things out. Sometimes a brain MRI reveals characteristic changes in people who have experienced chronic carbon monoxide exposure. I hope that helps!

In brief: Carbon

Carbon monoxide poisoning -- whether acute or chronic -- is determined by measuring your carboxyhemoglobin levels.
In cases of overexposure, your carboxyhemoglobin level will be elevated, but it will only remain high as long as you continue to be exposed to carbon monoxide. It is very difficult to document carbon monoxide poisoning (or exposure to natural gas leaks) two years after exposure ceased. There have been scattered reports of chronic, low-level carbon monoxide exposure leading to permanent memory loss, tremors, or learning disorders, but it isn't clear if such exposures cause permanent neurologic damage in all people. If you are having persistent symptoms you believe are related to carbon monoxide exposure between 1999 and 2009, a neurologist might be able to sort things out. Sometimes a brain MRI reveals characteristic changes in people who have experienced chronic carbon monoxide exposure. I hope that helps!
Dr. Stephen Christensen
Dr. Stephen Christensen
Thank
Get help from a real doctor now
Dr. Andrea Brand
Board Certified,
7M people helped
Continue
108,000 doctors available
Read more answers from doctors