I have been having a sore throat for the past few days and have been coughing and a runny nose what do I have? I usually go outside in cold weather in t shirts with no coat on!

Dr. Jack Mutnick
Internal Medicine - Allergy & Immunology

In brief: Infection vs allergy

It could either be an upper respiratory infection of springtime allergies.

In brief: Infection vs allergy

Dr. Jack Mutnick
Dr. Jack Mutnick
Dr. Laura McMullen

In brief: A

A sore throat is a pretty non-specific complaint that can have many causes.
Most commonly, it is caused by a virus and really shouldn't last more than a few days. A sore throat that persists could be something more serious such as a chronic infection, strep, gastroesophageal reflux disease, and in rare cases, even cancer (especially if you smoke, drink or have been exposed to the hpv virus). Because of this, it is important that you see your doctor or an otolaryngologist (ear nose and throat specialist) to find the cause of your sore throat so it can be properly and effectively treated. The good news is that exposure to cold does not cause illness such as colds and strep throat. Germs from other sick people cause viral and bacterial illnesses. People just get more illnesses during cold weather because they spend less time outside and more time cooped up inside with other sick people.

In brief: A

Dr. Laura McMullen
Dr. Laura McMullen
Dr. William Forsythe
Board Certified, Emergency Medicine