Is it likely for a pregnancy urine test to fail with ectopic pregnancy? I have tried a urine test 3 days after missed period. The test was taken in the morning

Yes. Urine pregnancy test have improved in sensitivity of the last 10 years however, if you body didn't secret enough of the urine pregnancy hormone yet ( sometimes 3 days too early)..; you may get a negative test whereas if you waited a few more days it would have been positive.
There . There is a chance, due to lower pregnancy hormone levels, that an ectopic pregnancy will go undetected via a urine pregnancy test. If you suspect an ectopic pregnancy and are experiencing signs/symptoms (lower abdominal pains, vaginal spotting, missed period) you must seek medical attention right away. The pregnancy can be verified via a blood test, and ectopic via ultrasound. An ectopic pregnancy can be life threating, causing fallopian tubes to rupture and bleed. Other reasons for a missed period can be increased physical activity, stress, hormonal changes and malnutrition.