I have a UTI and my left kidney is now killing me I have keflex 500 mg should I take that instead of going to the er. I've taken 2 keflex 500 mg today

Dr. Michael Ein
Internal Medicine - Infectious Disease

In brief: See below

If you have a kidney infection(pyelonephritis) you need to see a doctor and get a urinalysis and urine culture.
You may need a renal ultrasound to be sure you do not have an obstruction with hydronephosis or renal stones. The Keflex you took might interfere with the urine culture.

In brief: See below

Dr. Michael Ein
Dr. Michael Ein
Dr. Scott Dudak
Urology

In brief: Kidney

Kidney infections, called pyelonephritis, are potentially deadly, particularly in the elderly.
There are many bacteria that are resistant to keflex. A urine culture should sent before starting any antibiotic.

In brief: Kidney

Dr. Scott Dudak
Dr. Scott Dudak
Dr. Jane Van Dis