Are facials enough to improve the texture of my skin? What are the differences between chemical peels and medical facials? Does one irritate the skin more, but work better? I'd like to have a smoother feel and appearance of the skin on my nose and around

Dr. Benjamin Rodriguez
Surgery - Plastics

In brief: No free lunch

With skin rejuvenation, and with many such procedures, the longer the recovery period, the better the long-term results.
Facials, peels, and other treatments irritate the skin in some manner to initiate a change in the skin that will lead to an improved appearance.

In brief: No free lunch

Dr. Benjamin Rodriguez
Dr. Benjamin Rodriguez
Dr. James Seward
Dermatology

In brief: Chemical

Chemical peels typically use a stronger concentration of ingredients than facials and peel the skin more aggressively.
Chemical peels often use a combination of salicylic or glycolic acid combined with other peeling agents to peel away the top layers of skin. If you are hoping to give your skin a smoother look and diminish any sun damage, i would consider a chemical peel. I often perform a chemical peel after i place a patient on a two month regimen of tretinoin and the obagi skin care system. I feel the results are better that way.

In brief: Chemical

Dr. James Seward
Dr. James Seward