I have black spots on my tongue what should I do ? It's not hair on my tongue and it doesn't hurt or any it's just annoying to look at I have no clue what to do please help with a treatment method ...….. Thanks

Dr. Joy Jackson

In brief: Black

Black spots on the tongue are usually harmless and are more common in people of color. On the other hand, there is a condition called hairy tongue.
This is caused by taking certain medications (i.e. Antibiotics) certain vitamin deficiencies, and smoking. Regardless you should be seen by your primary care provider in order to make a diagnosis, and discuss treatment options if applicable. Good luck.

In brief: Black

Dr. Joy Jackson
Dr. Joy Jackson
Dr. Randy Nolf
Dentistry - Periodontics

In brief: Stain

Start by tongue scraping when you brush.
Also look at what you eat. Lots of coffee, tea or smoking can be the source of the stain. Rare cases it can be a pigmented bacteria causing the problem. Generally harmless, it can also have causes such as certain mouth rinses and inhalers. Sometimes the papilla can stay longer and get stained. Tongue scraping or brushing will help.

In brief: Stain

Dr. Randy Nolf
Dr. Randy Nolf
Dr. Steven Seres