How many days before my stomach biopsy should I stop taking plavix (clopidogrel) and aspirin? After an exam my doctor told me i would probably need an endoscopy and a biopsy of the stomach. I am taking blood thinners for a heart condition. Are there other

Dr. Boris Aronzon
Anesthesiology

In brief: Cardiologist

Get advice from your cardiologist.

In brief: Cardiologist

Get advice from your cardiologist.
Dr. Boris Aronzon
Dr. Boris Aronzon
Dr. Laura McMullen

In brief: You

You should call the doctor who is doing the endoscopy and biopsy and ask them what their recommendations are based on your list of medications.
In many cases it is recommended that you stop medications that can cause prolonged bleeding such as Aspirin and Plavix (clopidogrel) before the procedure, but depending on why they were prescribed, how much you are on, and exactly what procedure is expected to be done can help the doctor determine how long you have to be off of those medications. When you call, make sure you give your doctor a complete list of what you are taking including vitamins and other supplements.

In brief: You

Dr. Laura McMullen
Dr. Laura McMullen
Dr. Tonga Nfor
Board Certified, Internal Medicine - Cardiology