I have a constant pain in my trapezius which , makes my fingers feel like they are going numb, the pain in my trapezius is temporarily relieved when I do certain stretches but the tingling sensation in my fingers do not stop.

Dr. Stacey Franz
Physical & Rehabilitation Medicine

In brief: Whenever

Whenever experiencing new symptoms, it is always best to be evaluated by a physician, as musculoskeletal symptoms (i.
e. From muscle or nerve) can overlap visceral symptoms (i.e. Left arm tingling due heart issues). A physician would speak with you and examine you and correlate such to ensure appropriate diagnosis and treatment. If you are not experiencing any other symptoms that would suggest this is cardiac related (i.e. Right sided symptoms only, no breathing difficulty, no chest pain, no nausea/ vomiting, no palpitations), then this is more likely musculoskeletal. Typically pain in the trapezius with accompanying limb tingling can come from a few different sources: -myofascial pain is a condition in which one may have inflammation, tightness, pain in the fascia, which is the connective tissue that covers the muscles. This can hit muscles in isolation or in groups. This can also be associated with trigger points which are tight bands of tissue within the fascia that can cause referred symptoms (i.e. Tingling) in a specific distribution. -muscle strain, in which the muscle was overworked or strained. Would not usually account for the tingling and thus, may have two separate issues ongoing at the same time -cervical radiculopathy, or pinched nerve in the neck, that may cause such arm symptoms. Any muscles supplied by the involved nerve may go into spasm, thus causing pain in the trapezius area. Pinched nerves can come from a variety of sources, including a herniated disc. -carpal tunnel syndrome and other nerve conditions can also lead to hand tingling, but usually will not account for the arm tingling. Carpal tunnel involves the median nerve and typically hits the thumb, index and middle finger (sometimes the ring finger as well), while ulnar neuropathy generally hits the ring and pinkie fingers. There are a variety of causes for your complaints but i've touched on the more common musculoskeletal conditions. Treatment would vary depending on the cause. Furthermore, any physician would also need to know your medical history to ensure that treatment is safe for you at that time.

In brief: Whenever

Dr. Stacey Franz
Dr. Stacey Franz
Dr. Prem Gupta
Neurology

In brief: Possib pinched nerve

Usual cause is pinching of nerves in the neck from osteoarthritis in neck, which includes degenerated disks, bulging disks , facet joint hypertrophy etc.

In brief: Possib pinched nerve

Dr. Prem Gupta
Dr. Prem Gupta
Dr. Vikram Patel