My 5 year old is sick. He through up yesterday. I don, t want to upset his stomach, what can I feed him? He has a slight fever.

Nausea. Nausea and vomiting are common in kids and are usually caused by a short-lived viral illness. The most important thing to do when a child is vomiting is to keep the child hydrated. 1.) immediately after they vomit, you may want to give their stomach a break for an hour or two. 2.) after that, you can start with clear fluids such as water, juice, rehydration solution such as pedialyte or broth. If they have diarrhea, just use the rehydration solution as the other three can worsen diarrhea. Let them have "sips" or take in the fluid using a spoon to avoid a large "gulp" that could trigger vomiting. If the take in a tablespoon of fluid a minute, that can keep them hydrated. Popscicles are great. 3.) once they tolerate the clear fluids, you can move on to other fluids or bland foods such as crackers, bread, rice, chicken noodle soup or fruits and vegetables. Nothing too fatty, spicy, or acidic (such as tomato sauce or citrus). 4.) if they are doing well with this, then they can start eating regular food again. 5.) if your child vomits, go back to the last step since they might not have been ready to move on. 6.) and if your child has no appetite, don't push them to eat. As long as they are drinking and staying hydrated, that is the most important thing. While most children do not need to be seen by a doctor, here are a few "red flags" that should prompt you to call your child's doctor. -worsening symptoms instead of improving after 24 hours -dehydration: if you notice dry mouth, lack of tears, no urine for 8 hours, sunken eyes, rapid pulse or breathing, these are signs of dehydration. -bile (green) or blood tinged (red or brown) vomit -severe abdominal pain, even if it comes and goes -fever more than 102f or more than 101f for a few days -change in behavior including decreased responsiveness.