I am 32 and for the last year have only been getting my period once every three months or so, what could be wrong? I have not had any abnormal stress, exercise, or pain. Have not had any other symptoms. The first few times it happened took a few pregnancy

Dr. Peter Ihle
Orthopedic Surgery

In brief: You are in the age-

-of menopause.
It comes earlier in some, especially if there is a family history of this. You should talk to your GYN about this.

In brief: You are in the age-

-of menopause.
Dr. Peter Ihle
Dr. Peter Ihle
Dr. Scott Dinesen

In brief: The

The most likely answer is that you are not ovulating correctly.
Ovulation sets the luteal phase, meaning that if you ovulate and do not get pregnant then a period starts due to the drop in progesterone. If you do not ovulate the luteal phase is abnormal, there is no drop in progesterone, and no signal goes to the uterus telling it there is no pregnancy. Pcos (polycystic ovarial syndrome) is a common reason for this, but other hormonal irregularities may be at play. You need a series of blood test including fsh, lh, tsh, t4, prolactin, fasting glucose and Insulin levels, dheas, testosterone (free and total), and sbg (sex binding globulin), you also need an ultrasound to view the uterine linning and the ovaries. Depending on these tests and weather you want to get pregnant right now or not would dictate your treatment plan.

In brief: The

Dr. Scott Dinesen
Dr. Scott Dinesen
Dr. Warren Strudwick
Board Certified, Sports Medicine