Are there good alternative therapies for cataplexy?

Dr. Michelle Zetoony
Internal Medicine - Sleep Medicine

In brief: Alt to tx cataplexy

I have had luck with biofeedback and hypnosis in treatment of my patients.
Sleep hygiene and avoiding excessive sleepiness through medications and scheduled naps can be helpful in some patients.

In brief: Alt to tx cataplexy

Dr. Michelle Zetoony
Dr. Michelle Zetoony
Dr. Brian Affleck
ENT - Head & Neck Surgery

In brief: Options

There is limited evidence that dietary modification can provide some benefit, but because it isn't traditional medicine, the evidence isn't easy to find and study methods not always mainstream. Chinese herbal medicine, accupunture and accupressure have had some efficacy, too.
Unfortunately, traditional medications are much more effective and this is why most patients with narcolepsy use them.

In brief: Options

Dr. Brian Affleck
Dr. Brian Affleck
Dr. Vicken Poochikian