What do you think could be causing my irregular periods? I am almost 16 years old and have had my period for 4 years now. I have had irregular periods since the beginning and they have always been super heavy with lots of cramping. Before i started going

Dr. Stephan Krotz
Fertility Medicine

In brief: You

You are having frequent cycles which can be very frustrating.
You should have a hormonal evaluation to look at your thyroid function (tsh/t4), ovarian function (fsh), pituitary function (specifically prolactin) and your testosterone levels (to see if you have polycystic ovarian syndrome). You can also be evaluated for a bleeding disorder. Many young women who have heavy or frequent bleeding have disorders that can be worked up such as von willebrands. Finally, the abdominal ultrasound is not the most sensitive to look at the ovaries or the inside of the uterus. The best test may be a sonohystogram (pelvic ultrasound with saline in the uterus) although i can understand your hesitation to have this performed given your age currently. Please consider seeing a reproductive endocrinologist or pediatric gynecologist. Both are specialists that would be able to give a more thorough evaluation and insight into this issue. Stephan krotz, M.D.--reproductive endocrinologist-houston, tx www.Infertilityanswers.Com http://www.Facebook.Com/pages/dr-stephan-krotz/118121444927887.

In brief: You

Dr. Stephan Krotz
Dr. Stephan Krotz
Dr. Dennis Higginbotham