Are large tonsils responsible for sleep apnea?

Can be. They certainly can make the airway easier to obstruct during sleep.
Tonsils often large. There are many variables with obstructive sleep apnea, and tonsils are often part of the problem. Even with removal, the treatment may be incomplete. Further evaluation after tonsil removal is needed. Oral appliance therapy is often still recommended.
Mainly in children. In children, the most common cause of obstructive sleep apnea is enlarged tonsils and adenoids in the upper airway. Infections may cause these glands to enlarge. In adults the tonsils usually can not get large enough to block the airway.