Nightmares every single night for the past two years I have had horrible vivid nightmares every single night for the past two years. I have worked with a psychiatrist, and changed my medications but nothing seems to help. I am not on cymbalta, after takin

Nightmares . Nightmares are terrifying, deeply upsetting or abnormal dreams. They have been reported to occur more frequently in individuals taking antidepressant medications such as cymbalta (duloxetine). For example, full prescribing information for Cymbalta (duloxetine) shows that 2% or more of patients treated with Cymbalta (duloxetine) reported abnormal dreams. Abnormal dreams were reported in clinical trials with seroquel in up to 2% of users. Abnormal dreams occur with vyvanse (lisdexamfetamine dimesylate) as well, albeit rarely. Experimental studies show that vyvanse is an inhibitor of cyp1a2, one of the enzymes involved in elimination of cymbalta (duloxetine). The prescribing information for Cymbalta (duloxetine) recommends that inhibitors of cyp1a2 should not be taken together with Cymbalta (duloxetine) because of increased plasma concentration of this drug. The increased plasma concentration of Cymbalta (duloxetine) is more likely to cause abnormal dreams. In summary, you appear to be taking three drugs that work together to facilitate abnormal dreaming. The order in which you take the drugs is probably of little significance. Your psychiatrist should work with a clinical pharmacologist and review your medication regimen.
There . There are many possible reasons and many possible approaches depending on the cause. Substances that can contribute to nightmares include anti-depressants (seroquel (quetiapine) actually has some anti-depressant effects and works in part like an ssri), blood pressure medications, stimulants, nicotine, coffee, and narcotics. Sleep wave disruption by other sleep disorders may also contribute, for example, sleep apnea and restless leg syndrome. People with depression and/or anxiety or more likely to experience nightmares. A very common cause is post traumatic stress disorder. Therefore, treatment may vary depending on cause. Again, as you have tried, medication adjusts for some might be made. Also, substances such as nicotine, coffee and certain stimulants can effect sleep 12 hours from the last ingestion. It is possible to get a sleep study if another sleep disorder seems likely. A medication sometimes used for nightmares is prazosin. However it can lower blood pressure and should not be used in combination with certain medication, so speak with your doctor. For ptsd related nightmare, there are many therapies such as cognitive behavioral, emdr, and the like. However, in my opinion, the most curative is psychoanalytically oriented psychotherapy with someone who is able to understand and help interpret dreams. (usually someone trained in psychoanalysis). Vietnam vets tend to have a certain type/theme of nightmares. Childhood sexual abuse victims tend to have a certain type of theme to nightmares. (for example - they often dream of bodily representations of themselves and others being harmed and destroyed.) regardless of cause, you can't dream about what you don't know about. Nightmares are thought to be a way for the person to try to "master" a horrible event that was too overwhelming and difficult to comprehend. Understanding how the nightmares related to their traumas and to present life can be a very helpful way to not only get rid of nightmares, but also help to treat depression and anxiety. All the best to you in dealing with a very troubling situation. Nightmares can lead to more sleep deprivation which can lead to more depression and anxiety which can lea do more difficulty sleeping and promote more nightmares. It is very frustrating.