Is it normal to still have fatty stools after a gallbladder removal? I am having stools that appear like I am not digesting fat. I s that normal 3 years after I have had my gallbladder removed?

Dr. Robert Dorsey
Wound care

In brief: Can be

Depends on the amount of fat you are consuming all at once.
Limit the fat and if no better see a GI specialist.

In brief: Can be

Dr. Robert Dorsey
Dr. Robert Dorsey
Dr. Joseph Jeu

In brief: It

It is not uncommon to have problems with your bowels following gallbladder removal.
Common symptoms include heartburn, bloating, belching, passing lots of gas, and diarrhea. This is particularly pronounced after eating a fatty meal. It occurs because there is no more reservoir available (gallbladder) to store your bile. Bile helps you digest fat, and is normally relased when you have a fatty meal. If these symptoms are bothersome to you, you should consider a high fiber, low fat diet as much as possible. Discuss these symptoms with your physicians. Sometimes enzymes and resins may be helpful to control your symptoms. I hope this info helps.

In brief: It

Dr. Joseph Jeu
Dr. Joseph Jeu
Dr. Mark Pack
Board Certified, Surgery